Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) – aka “Tapping” – is a modern energy healing technique that combines the psychological benefits of cognitive therapy with technique derived from Oriental Medicine to work on the energy system and release emotional traumas. It is often likened to emotional acupuncture (without the needles). Also known as “Tapping”, EFT is simple to learn and easy to do. It can be done on yourself, or as a proxy treatment through yourself, for an animal. It can be used on any problem or situation. What is most important is your intention and attention; where we focus our attention so goes our energy.
By coming up with the storyline and a perspective on what it is that is holding you back (the Setup Statement), and then repeating a key Reminder phrase while simultaneously tapping on designated acupressure points, you can release old patterns of stuck or limiting energies, beliefs, perceptions and free your self to explore life from a new, more empowered perspective.
The EFT procedure involves:
- Having the client determine where in their body they feel the emotion issue most
- Assigning a numeric indicator of the intensity leve
- Constructing a Setup Statement that best encapsulates the problem or issue in the clients own words and way of seeing it
- Having the client following the Tapping Sequence on the head, face, hands, and chest
- Checking the intensity level of the issue after the Tapping Round has been completed
- Repeating the sequence as needed to reduce or eliminate the intensity of the issue
This simple system can be learned on your own, however in the beginning, people find it more effective to work with someone trained in the EFT technique who can help you construct the release and reminder statements to get at the root of your story and help you get the most out of your tapping experience.